Monday, January 02, 2023


Max, Jimmy, rocked J-Town


The Songwriter

I heard Max Brown on the radio singing 'Chinatown'

He was a local boy from Neosho, a nearby town

The first song I wrote was about sin, sorrow, and death

I covered all the bases, I mean, after that what's left 


I heard Jimmy Thurman on the  radio singing ‘Pretty Baby’

He was a local boy from Joplin, and I thought just maybe

I could write a song or two with my guitar and play me

I could write a song, free my bonds and save me


So I did and in doing so the process really drew me in

Creating worlds and dreams I could live within

Maybe someday the songs will be in store record bins

For sale for all to buy and hear at the local five and ten


I wrote more songs, found it was hard to come up with tunes

But the words were easy, moon and June and all that blooms

I was doing just fine, tweaking and sculpting every line

A notebook full, I could hardly believe they were all mine


Pretty soon I got pretty good and all was going as it should

Then I realized all my songs were nothing but dead wood

Until people heard them and made a judgement as to their merit

Or, I would be singing to an empty room like a lonely parrot

 

Surely, I thought the public can't be that hard to please

I mean Fabian sounds like a wheel you forgot to grease

It's way too late to stop now as it has become a habit

If you hear me and think you can do better, have at it


© Words and music by Bryce Martin 1959,1960

© Godot Boys Music (BMI) 2022

Words and Music by Bryce Martin


NOTE: “Pretty Baby” by Jimmy Thurman is on YouTube. I posted on there several years ago and Jimmy’s daughter, Christina, responded to my post: “Jim Thurman was born in CA and moved to Joplin, Mo., as a child. He recorded in 


Tulsa… Thank you for appreciating his music, I’m sure he is smiling down from heaven!