Tuesday, January 31, 2023

 These Aren’t My Memories


The heavy rain from this morning begins to yield

Green traffic lights reflect on  the windshield

We’ve had winter winds in the past few days

Life has been something of a haze


Thoughts turn to home and dark-plank floors

My woolen sock feet a pillow to my Labrador

A glass of warm brandy by a flickering fire

The babies fast asleep at their usual hour


She's finished tidying up the kitchen

Nothing escapes her attention

There’s shorter days now in store

Bedtime comes earlier than before


I grip the steering for the turn just ahead

It’s then I realize for real and shake my head

These aren’t my memories

This is not you and me

This is not the way I hoped it would be

These aren’t my memories


These aren't my memories

They only live inside my head

These aren't my memories


©Godot Boys Music 2022

Words and music by Bryce Martin