Monday, December 26, 2022

Dark Honey




I knew a girl who lived up in the hills

Her old daddy you know he had him a still

The men would come for miles around

For a jug of what he was putting down


Me though I didn't show for no bootleg shine

I drove those backwoods with somethin' better in mind

That two-bit farm had a lot for a man to like and it all cost money

But what I really liked was some of that free dark honey

 

That dark honey was secretly mine and for that I give thanks

We sneaked way out back while the men were getting tanked

They didn't notice because they were sloshed to the gills

Drinkin' that swill from her old man's whiskey still

 

I loved that dark honey for all else I wouldn't give spit

Once you get started you just don't want to ever quit

It's a little bit of heaven though that's just a guess

I've never been to heaven but this couldn't be much less

 

With that dark honey on the seat next to my side

I coasted my rusty old pickup until it began to glide

That dark honey was never for sale on that rat-bit farm

'Cause that dark honey she's right here with me in my arms


©Godot Boys Music (BMI)

Words and music by Bryce Martin 2013