Saturday, August 18, 2007

The House of David bearded baseball boys
by Bryce Martin

Satchel Paige referred to the House of David baseball team as "Jesus' Boys."

I was fortunate enough to witness the bearded ones at Miners Park in Joplin around 1954. I think they played a black team that game called the Tulsa T-Town Clowns. If not, the Tulsa T-Town Clowns was another visiting attraction I observed at Miners Park versus another nine.

It was a fun night and a big deal for my elders who relished all things baseball. My uncle Noah, however, was not too fond of the large Star of David displayed near the visitors' dugout. Its size is what he seemed to dislike. Pushing one's religion was fine but going overboard by shouting the message with such a huge symbol was questionable in his mind. It was a point made quickly and then we were all smiles the rest of the night.

Putting aside the fact the original name for the group appears to be "House of Davids" (note the "s" on the end of "David") research indicates the House of David team didn't tour after World War II, that instead the team that did tour was called City of David. They usually toured in matchups with black teams, so I might be right on the Tulsa T-Town Clowns.

I asked area historian John Hall his take on the subject: "They probably were still called the House of Davids after the war by many non-City of David folks. I did know Frank Morrow, former Carthage and Miami Eagles outfielder. He told me he played for the 'House of Davids' in 1950-51 and had to purchase a fake beard because he couldn't grow one. Wish he was still around so I could talk about some of those things with him."

The last year the bearded baseball wonders sent a traveling team around the country was in 1956.

Further information revealed the House of David played in the first -- the very, very first -- night baseball game, at Independence, Kans., on April 17, 1930. (I think that might be disputed.) I know games were played long before that date with lanterns for lights.

And... other than their beards, what are they famous for?

Give up? -- "pepper game" exhibitions between innings. In fact, they are given credit for inventing the warmup and it was an integral part of their overall performance.

-30-

No comments: