Friday, April 07, 2023

Mayf Nutter

 From West "By Gawd" Virginia, Mayf Nutter was all over the map in making a name for himself. 

We ran together some in Bakersfield where he and I both resided. Amazed I was at how he managed to juggle so many different careers, I asked how he did it. "Well, I guess one gives me a vacation from the other, keeps me fresh."  I described him as a “renaissance man.” He asked what that was. It was a fair response. It was a new buzz phrase making the rounds. I guess I caught him up a little too soon. In his case it simply meant a man of many talents. I preferred “talented multi-hyphenate.” Mayf was skilled in many high-level areas. He had record releases on major record labels, played guitar and wrote and sang many of his own songs, appeared as a singer in major cities and venues, narrated Walt Disney films, starred as an actor in major Hollywood films and television series, wrote a monthly column for a national country music publication, and owned a celebrity limousine service. He built quite a name for himself. His name? I once mentioned his name to a fellow who said, "Oh, yes! I remember him from The Andy Griffith Show." I knew that to be false because Mayf never had mentioned it, and Mayf would have mentioned it. It took some real digging until the name I was looking for came up. Not Mayf, but Rayf, just as West Virginian but different. Guest actor Jack Prince portrayed Rayf Hollister, an itinerate singer who showed up one day to sing a tune for the folks in Mayberry. Mayf's mother, like many in her day living in rural areas, looked forward to welcoming traveling vendors such as "The Watkins Man," and the "Jewel Tea Man," for lotions, liniments, and everything from baking powder and other grocery and household items to cleaning supplies, linens, cookware and dishes.

A Jewel Tea man by the name of Mayf showed up just in time to rush Mayf's mother to a doctor to deliver her son, and for that the newborn... you guessed it.