Saturday, October 01, 2022

 

 

I Dreamed I Was in Baseball Heaven

 

I dreamed I was there in Baseball Heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight
And I met all the players in Baseball Heaven
Oh, what a star spangled night

 

Last night I dreamed I was in Baseball Heaven
And just as I arrived the players gathered round
And there in middle of the diamond stood
Who else but Mickey Mantle and Ken Boyer

 

They welcomed me and Mick said come join in
I know there's some other guys you wanta see
Over there's someone you know
Your old friend Ferrell Anderson from Joplin days

 

And there's Scoop Albright
The old windmiller from Galena
Barney Barnett Jr., from Baxter Springs
He's still as big as ever

 

George Grantham, he goes way back
He and a fellow Galena boy, Bill Windle
They named a street after George
In Pittsburgh with the Pirates

 

Everett Labor he signed with the Cardinals
A busted vessel in his leg sent him home
Now he's here pitching strong as ever
Wearing his Bulldog blue and white

 

There was Ike Labor, Boyer brothers Cloyd and 
Cletis, and a roster long on familiar names
Boys known in the Tri-State all
A large group it was, and what a lineup

 

Of course, the guy doing the managing now,
I guess it would be proper to say
He's a real baseball God

 

I dreamed I was in Baseball Heaven
Oh, what a star studded night

 

Then I asked Mick and Ken, I said, well
Who do you think will be showin' up next,
You know, sometime down the road?

 

Mick handed me a big tally book and in it
I saw names like Mike Anderson,
Alan Cockrell, Ron Boyer, 
Others whom I remember well

 

And then there was Bob Skahan, Bill Russell,
from Pittsburg, another Boyer, and Bryce Martin
Ooh... that's when I woke
And I'm sorry I did

 

'Cause I dreamed I was there in Baseball Heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight
And I met all the players in Baseball Heaven
Oh, what a star spangled night


New lyrics by Bryce Martin used by permission from a song written by Hal Southern and Eddie Dean for Sage Music (SESAC) and popularized on vinyl by Tex Ritter.


...