Thursday, December 25, 2008

Favorite Christmastime Records
(in no particular order)

Bryce Martin

"Truckin' Trees for Christmas" -- Red Simpson
Red gave me his LP that included this song when it was released.

"If We Make it Through December" -- Merle Haggard

"Christmas Time is Here" -- Vince Guaraldi
Charlie Brown.

"Gee Whiz, It's Christmas" -- Carla Thomas
Of all that went on in Memphis musically, I think of her.

"Papa Noel" -- Brenda Lee

"The Chipmunk Song" -- The Chipmunks (Alvin, Theodore & Simon)
Boy, I get tired of seeing this listed as "Alvin & The Chipmunks." It was "The Chipmunks," and later on when Alvin was considered the star (think Diana Ross and The Supremes in reverse) it became "Alvin & The Chipmunks."

"Winterlude" -- Bob Dylan

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" -- Karen Carpenter
I always thought the lyrics contained a hint of sarcasm. I checked the song's origin and I was right. It was changed some but it's still there in the title line.

"Hey Santa"-- Carnie and Wendy Wilson

"Hallelujah"-- Jeff Buckley

-30-