Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Jimmie Addington and his wife Carol have graciously extended an invitation for me to join them at their country ranch for a gathering prompted by an electrical power outage that resulted in the loss of their supply of beefalo steaks. Jimmie, who maintains a substantial herd of buffalo on the property, managed to salvage some of the meat and has assured me that there will be plenty to eat. 

I must confess that I have a particular preference when it comes to meat, favoring chicken, pork, or the more common cuts of beef. I am not one to shy away from trying new things, but I do have my limits. Creamy cow brains, squirrel, rabbit, duck, lamb, and other less conventional meats are not to my taste. 

In addition to the Addington's, Bob Poff and his wife Anne, who peddles Herbalife products, will also be in attendance. Neither Jimmie nor Bob is seldom seen not wearing a cowboy hat.

The beefalo steaks prepared by Jimmie were truly delicious, showcasing his skill as a charcoal grill master. However, it was Bob's pinto beans that truly caught my attention. Having spent a childhood in rural Kansas, I have a deep appreciation for well-prepared beans, whether they be lima, white, or pinto. Bob's beans were exceptional, and after some prodding, he revealed his secret ingredient: cabbage. 

The addition of cabbage, boiled down to a point where it is indiscernible yet enhances the flavor, truly elevated the dish. I found myself thoroughly impressed and eager to try this technique in my own cooking endeavors.

 Anne kindly gifted me a bottle of nettle leaf caplets, touting their numerous benefits. Bob and Anne spent 18 years in Alaska. Bob tells how after salmon fishing in an Alaska stream a bear chased him to his truck, wanting Bob's catch.