Saturday, May 06, 2023

Don't Ever Get Your Whisky At A Place Called Papa Joe's


My parents gave me a road map and a smile 

Said hit the road and try life for a while 

Well it was a big change I must admit  

A change I didn’t like not one little bit 


I had to get a job and find it real quick 

Who’d hire some kid from the hickory sticks 

I sorely needed someone to give me a boost 

Because I really needed a place to roost


I’m telling you all this because I want you to know

Don’t ever get your whiskey at a place called Papa Joe’s

I met a call girl named Shirley who gave me a place to stay

For protection against those who might misbehave 


She sent me out to get her her favorite whisky blend 

She liked to have a sip or two sometimes between men

It was at that place I mentioned called Papa Joe’s

A place for sure one should never even once ever go


I got Shirley’s bottle of whiskey she liked so

But just as soon as I was getting ready to go

Papa Joe said son do you want a taste of pure delight

It’s on the house to try and see if you like


An offer from a stranger it seemed reasonable after all

Still, I’m only human and us humans have our flaws

So I took a swig of what he called a pure delight

And I must admit right off it suited me just right


Well you can probably guess that one little swig

Wouldn’t do me, the next one had to be big, real big

Smooth as clear creek water and sharp on the tongue

This pure delight encounter had just begun


I rolled on the floor all the time crying more, more, more

Praising Jesus for leading me to this glorious whiskey store

Some like it hot some like it cold but never has it been told

This pure delight sent from the heavens in my hands I now hold


I was soon guzzling with a funnel found lying around

And taking my heavenly liquid lying on the ground

Papa Joe was now just a blur lost in the background

I sensed that though my brain was now whisky bound 


My brain was on hold from the reality I had known

All thanks to the generosity a stranger had shown

This rank stranger I only met, one known as Papa Joe

Should I consider him a new friend or a dangerous foe 

 

Because it’s for sure this pure delight will never let go

I’ll be its slave and it my master for ever and ever more 

I won’t be able to get a job or work even mopping floors

I’ll have to rob and steal to buy it at Papa Joe’s store


So dear lads and lassies too

If  your parents give you the boot 

Leave, but don’t stop, just scoot

Pass on by Papa Joe’s on your route


©Godot Boys Music (BMI) 2023

Words and music by Bryce Martin