Tuesday, March 21, 2023

 THE YUM YUM ROOM IN 1968 BAKERSFIELD

It was a mystery to me, The Yum Yum Room. I had heard of the place. Few details. I dropped by to give it a gander. I walked in and there was this big room, a house living room with spare furniture. In the distance I could hear talk and music. There was no one in the room. I turned around and left. Odd place. I returned another time, expecting maybe something different. It was the same, except I had a stronger urge than before to continue on and see the Great Oz. I couldn't bring myself to do so. I felt like by entering that yonder room I would be entering the stage and I would be the focus of attention. The concept, whatever that might have been, stroked a tone of creepiness. I found out much later what that concept was. The Yum Yum Room was a discotheque. For me, it hadn't been a discotheque, since I never ventured into that nook.

Jimmy Bays, one half of the Sandra & Jimmy Bays Show, a staple of  Bakersfield television, is generally credited with favoring the city with its first discotheque, a big hit already down in Hollywood. Jimmy, maybe Sandra, showing some keen business acumen by seeking and finding financial backers, found one in Peter Marshall, host of the popular TV game show Hollywood Squares. Marshall, in his book, The Original Hollywood Square, does not remember fondly his first, and probably only visit to his investment.






                                                              Jimmy and Sandra  Bays

NOTE: I'm not sure "heavy metal, " as used by Peter Marshall in his book, was a descriptive phrase suitable for The Doors and their music, although Jim Morrison probably wouldn't have minded. The Doors are said to have been the band playing at the Yum Yum Room's grand opening. As one who witnessed the early incarnation of The Doors on Sunset Strip, some of their songs were annoying to the ears, at least from my ear point. That's the message I believe Marshall was getting across. -- Bryce