Friday, September 06, 2013

YEAH, BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT

I've lived a couple hills away from Death Valley. I've lived in Bakersfield, Calif. Two notoriously hot locales. In fact, Death Valley is the hottest place in the world.

Every time I try to brag about how I lived in such places, and no matter how graphic I describe just how hot these places are, I always forget what I am setting up and what I will hear next.

"Yeah, but it's a dry heat."

I've been setting myself up as the foil for this remark many, many times over the last 40 years. Each time I slap my forehead and tell myself I will never learn.

Yes, it is a dry heat. It's not really a blast furnace from Hell. That 121 degrees of blistering blaze is a dry heat. It's really about 67 degrees, a nice cool breeze is blowing and I won't die in about 40 seconds if I don't consume a gallon of water.

Excuse me for educating you on how hot it is. Right, it is a dry heat. What was I thinking?